Friday, January 8, 2010

Too much caffeine

As I get older, I find I am getting more sensitive to caffeine and it has been limiting my tea tasting escapades. By the time I get home from work, I drink exclusively no-caffeine products. And when I go to work, I drink mostly bagged teas since they are more convenient and less messy for the workplace, especially since the kitchen is on a separate floor and I usually prepare my tea at my desk - as far away from all the electronic equipment and computers that I work with on a daily basis as possible. I usually bring my water from home in a Thermos but it's never the same as a freshly boiled pot - but this so far is the best compromise I've been able to come up with. So today, I tried three new bagged teas and here's my thought on each.

Ashby's Apricot Black - I was really looking forward to this one. I love apricots but I find in North America in general, apricots and blackcurrents tend to be somewhat unpopular, despite their stellar popularity in Europe. You're more likely here to find a peach flavored tea than apricot. Unfortunately, this tea was disappointing. It had minimal apricot scent and no flavor - just a strong black tea. I like strong black tea but not this one - it was just too murky.
Ashby's Raspberry Black - I had no expectations for this one after the apricot but it wasn't too bad. The raspberry flavor was more pronounced but not overwhelming. Again though, the black tea in this blend was too strong.
Ashby's Earl Grey - This one was pretty good - a fairly typical Earl Grey although the bergamot in this one tended to be on the more lemony side, rather than the floral side - which I prefer.

What made me happy today:
1. getting the first request of the year for a possible wedding gig next September 2. Seeing a Certain Someone is starting to feel better
Weather: Temperature: -1 C, cloudy, no snow - yet
Teas drunk: Ashby's Earl Grey, Apricot and Raspberry black bagged teas
Money Spent: $0
Work done: worked 10 am to 6 pm at regular job, made supper of teryaki rice and oriental appetizers, found in the freezer stash

No comments:

Post a Comment