Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Another day, another ... well, let's not get into that

I simply have to budget my money more wisely. I have a week to go before payday and I have $3.51 lurking in my pocket. Just enough to buy that packet of Twinnings Orange that I've lusting after, but that leaves literally pennies to get through the rest of the week.
Sigh.
Actually, there is more money to be had but I am trying to discipline myself to spend less money. For example, I really don't need that packet of Twinnings - there's literally pounds of much better tea in this house that's just waiting to be slurped. Yet, if there's something out there that I haven't tried, well, I just have to have it. Fortunately, tea is a relatively cheap indulgence. It's pretty hard to spend more than $10 on a small package and you can usually try most teas for much cheaper than that. Of course, like anything else, there are expensive teas to be had and I confess to trying most of those when I get a chance. But for the most part, most of my favorites are pretty inexpensive.
Probably the most expensive tea I've ever bought was Adam's Peak, from Upton's. I think I paid about $20 for two ounces - it was OK. When I had the tea business, I would occasionally get samples of the really good ones and I tried a Badaling Yellow that was quite nice - but not enough to fork over a lot of money. I also tried some darjeelings that were quite nice - seems to me that there was a Castleton that was truly exceptional. The most expensive tea that I went out of my way to buy was a spring pouchong - can't remember the price except that it was a lot. The only problem is that it was so expensive that I only want to drink it on special occasions - as if life wasn't special enough.
In fact, I think I'm going to make myself a pot of that pouchong right now. I think Wednesday is pretty special in itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment