Saturday, July 4, 2009

Icky days good for something ...

like cooking. I went to the Farmer's Market this morning and blew a bundle - but I got a whole bunch. I think I bought from everybody I know - and that's saying something. I bought four baskets of freshly picked, sweet strawberries, which will go into jam, a big bunch of rhubarb which will hopefully end up in a pie with a few of those strawberries and maybe freeze some; a huge tomato; romaine lettuce; a bunch of white turnips with greens; three packs of organic free-range chicken; two loaves of multigrain bread, half-dozen white rolls, dozen oatcakes; half-dozen cranberry scones; two chocolate almond croissants and a decaf fair trade coffee with cream (no one's selling tea since I left!). So later today, the cooking will continue with the making of the year's first batch of strawberry jam and hopefully a strawberry rhubarb pie. I've already made a quiche today with tomato, green pepper and mushrooms, sprinkled with mozzarella - yes, it was delish. Followed by big bowls of fresh sliced berries covered in cream.
Doncha love summer?
And yes, there was time for tea - one of my old favorites - Metropolitan Tea's Plum tea (loose). This is a black tea with a tangy plum flavoring. I'm not a fan of plums but I love this stuff. Trust me on this one - if you ever see this one for sale, get it. You will not be disappointed.
The weather is still raining and chilly but I'm hoping to get those darned plants put in this weekend ... but it looks like I'll be cooking instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment