Thursday, May 21, 2009

Sounds of silence

I have been a musician most of my life and I work in a radio station. So why do I enjoy silence so much? When I drive, I rarely listen to anything. At home, if there's music playing, it's usually one of us practising. I've never been a huge fan of concerts - I'd rather get the DVD and see it at home. Deep down, I know it's because I am, what most would refer to as, a snob. I only want to listen to what I really like. I know exactly what I like. But I also liked every kind of music, from country to classical. If I'm going to spend time listening to something, it has to have something that reaches me. It doesn't necessarily have to be technically accurate or hugely emotional. In fact, those things tend to repel me. But I do enjoy hearing musicians play with restraint, but there's so little of that anymore.
How about less restraint on the restraint?
My tastes in tea tend to run the same way. I'm not a fan of big bold flavors. I prefer subtle, quiet tastes, preferably without any enhancements. A really good tea has no problem with this - it can stand on its own, without milk, sugar, spice. But finding that perfect flavor can be a challenge. I've been searching for years for the perfect darjeeling.
And I suspect I will spend many years more on that quest.
It is said that it is the journey, not the destination, that matters.