Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Trying to be a grown-up

Every so often, I like to indulge in age-appropriate behavior, just for a little something different to do. And this time, I'm actually thinking I may even try to maintain some of these new behaviors.
When I was in my 20s, I saved, saved, saved and had plenty of RRSPs. As I got older and had some broke times, the savings stopped and the RRSPs were used - thankfully I had them to draw upon. The past few years, I've made the anxious dash to the bank on February 28th to invest whatever was hanging around in my savings account into an RRSP - hardly a model of good financial planning. Well, this year, I went into the Bank on February 1st, bought my RRSP for this year and *gasp*, made an arrangement with the bank to take out a set amount twice a month and put half into my RRSP and the other half into my Tax Free Savings Account. Then, next February, I can top off the amount with whatever's available or not - whatever I decide, I'll still have money in the RRSP and the TFSA.
Why didn't I do this before? It's a much easier way to do things.
This week, I finally clued into why I've had a sore throat since mid-December. I have GERD or gastro-esophageal reflux disease, otherwise known as acid reflux disease. I've had this for several years but have managed to pretty much ignore it - until now. December is when we start eating all those rich holiday foods and apparently citrus fruits like oranges, chocolate, tea, coffee, tomato products, pop, garlic and onions should be avoided like the plague when you have GERD.
Umm, that's my whole diet.
I've been eating clementines like candy and yes, I eat grapefruits like some people eat an orange. I've been even known to eat lemons - yes, a whole lemon.
On Saturday, I stopped eating oranges and avoided fruit juices. Sunday, the sore throat was nearly gone. Since then, I've avoided all the other foods and sought out low acid foods instead. I can't believe how much better I feel. The sore throat is completely gone. I did have a cup of hot chocolate this evening and I can feel a little tingle - so I guess that's a no-no too. Otherwise I feel fine.
So I guess I have to really watch what I eat and drink. I knew my favorite foods are trigger foods but I guess my body has just had enough. It will be low acid apple juice for breakfast and the days of eating lemons and grapefruit are probably over. And yes, I will have to watch my consumption of everything else - much less and earlier in the day. No more eating before bedtime - I will stop at least three hours before.
Since decaf products are as acidic as regular products, there will be no more coffee and teas after 1 pm - I will really miss that. Water just isn't the same although herbal teas are apparently not as bad - I may have to try a few of those. Of course, mint and ginger are off the list - that's bad for GERD too.
I am going to do this because yes, I am a grownup who isn't 20 anymore but who still wants to feel OK and can - if she takes a few simple steps. Besides, it's better and much cheaper than having to take a prescription!

No comments:

Post a Comment