Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A very productive day!

Why is it that some days, I can barely open my eyes and get my bed made but on other days, I can do so much? Saturday and Sunday, I did nothing. Period. Today, I had a busy work day and then came home and made seven quarts of salsa, three half pints of orange cranberry sauce for the upcoming holiday season and a batch of strawberry freezer jam, using my stash of frozen berries. I also did a load of laundry. Normally, each of the cooking projects is an all-night event. Doing everything on a single night is unheard of - at least for me. And it all seems to have turned out well so that's good too.
A few minutes ago, while surfing the net, I found a recipe on how to make your own butter from pure cream. I am tempted to try it - all you need is a food processor - which I have - cream and patience. I'm not sure about using pure cream though - is such a product even available in Canada? What I would get would be the heaviest cream available at the grocery store but the recipe specifically says no additives can be in the cream - it has to be pure. I do know our Canadian milk products are safe but when you compare them flavorwise to that of Britain, it's like comparing apples and oranges. Our cream is pretty much comparable to their skim milk. And the flavor - oh my. I remember the first time I had cream in Britain many years ago - don't ever tell me the British don't produce incredible food! And the same can be said for their cheese and ice cream - I would weigh one tonne if I lived there! Interestingly enough, I don't remember having any decent coffee when I was there - I was a coffee drinker then. Of course, the tea was good - everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment