Monday, June 8, 2009

Nougat memories

There were so many candies that I enjoyed as a child that I wouldn't go near as an adult - and vice versa. When I was a kid, it was honeymoons, spearmint leaves, jelly tots and milk bottles. While I still enjoy the occasional spearmint leaf and jelly tot, I now can't stand honeymoons and I haven't seen a milk bottle since I was 9. Does anyone even remember them?
When I was a kid, I wouldn't have been caught dead eating Turkish delights, marzipan or chocolate gingers. While I'm still on the fence about the gingers, bring on the Turkish delights and the marzipan!
Another candy that's becoming increasingly hard to find around this part of the country is nougat or torrone. And I'm not talking about that soft crap with bits of jelly - I mean real crunchy nougat made of almonds and honey. When I was a kid, my parents use to buy me packages of Callard and Bowsers nougat, which would be devoured within minutes. Unfortunately, that company no longer exist and neither does their nougat. I managed to find a huge piece of Italian nougat at Winners over the Christmas holidays that lasted for weeks but I haven't seen anything since. Three new candy stores have opened in town in the last six month. Of course, none of them sell nougat. Sigh. They don't know what they're missing