Sunday, March 14, 2010

Not quite yet spring cleaning

For the past few weeks, I've been busy decluttering in a quest to see my floors again. Seriously though, this weekend was a big breakthrough for me.
I threw out my craft supplies.
All my knitting and needlework. Gone.
YES!
I've been involved in these two hobbies for more than 30 years. And in that time, after spending, I am sure, thousands of dollars and hours, I have produced only four items that I would show to other people: a mohair shawl (that I've never worn), a single pair of wool socks (that I won't wear in fear that I'll wear them out), a scarf (which doesn't get worn either since I'm not a scarf person) and a floral cross-stitch picture. The rest were mute testimony as to why I should throw everything out.
Give some people a ball of yarn and needles and they will produce a beautiful sweater; give me the same supplies and I'll make one that makes me look like a certain large bird from a well-known children's program. Not attractive.
It's taken a long time for my to acknowledge my lack of craftiness; now that I have finally accepted the fact, it feels so good!

2 comments:

  1. Ooh darlin', I just did the same with fabric - so freeing. I am not a good enough seamstress, so why pretend. Good for you to have that courage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you have given me the idea of what to throw out next - my small fabric stash that will never be turned into anything because I have no talent for sewing either! Oddly enough, I find these are things I have to throw out because otherwise, I will come up with excuses to keep them - for the most part, I'm a pretty good recycler but there's time when you simply have to let go.
    Good to know I am not the only one like this!

    ReplyDelete