Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Could have avoided it

I finally relented on Monday and got a prescription for my acid reflux. Things came to a head when I ate a banana - a banana, a food they give to the sickest people because it's so mild - and I could feel the burning acid rising in my throat. Two days later, I don't even feel like the same person. The thing is, when you have acid reflux on a daily basis, you don't even notice it after a while - until it's gone. When I first got the prescription, I made a joke that I could now eat normally again but the fact is, I plan to stay on the straight and narrow. It was bad eating and genetics that got me into this mess in the first place; while I can't do anything about the genetics, I can at least try to eat better, or more properly, better for me. I may be on this for a while - the last time, I had to give up taking this because of a lack of prescription plan, no money and an attitude that I didn't want to be on any type of drug, even ones I might need. Since then, the price has come down considerably and I've come down to earth so I think I could afford to keep taking it even if something happens on the job-front. I'm just finding out now that serious cases of GERD can cause laryngitis and even sinusitis, two other conditions that have been plaguing me the past few months - and to think that I could have avoided all this - grrrr!
At least now, I can eat and drink tea in relative comfort - hurray!
It's even looking more and more like spring out there.

2 comments:

  1. I know just what you mean - glad you got the meds and hope you continue to do well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! Hope you're feeling better these days too!

    ReplyDelete