Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Sort of back

It's been a rough, sad few weeks. I guess it's time to start getting back to normal, although I'm not sure what that is any more. Some people return to work within a few days of a death while others work on through. I have no idea of how they do it. I'm actually glad not to be working right now since I would be absolutely useless in any workplace.
But next week, I do have a professional engagement one evening so I better start screwing my head back on. Don't want to break down in front of a room of strangers.
One thing I would like to point out is this - if someone you know experiences a death in their family, please send a condolence. It can be a phone call, a card or a one-line email. Don't worry about sending flowers or donations - just let them know that you're thinking of them. And the time AFTER the funeral is actually the best time to make contact - that's when everyone leaves you alone, and yet, that's the time when you need people the most.
And never hesitate to send food - even the most ardent chefs among us are too overwhelmed to do any cooking during those initial days. Any extras can always be frozen for the next week.

3 comments:

  1. Everyone deals with loss differently. Don't compare yourself to others. You do what's best for you. Take care of yourself.

    Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my mom died it was a long time before I felt comfortable in public - I felt like I had no skin to protect me. ince my dad had already died, I felt like I had been orphaned. Time does make it better, but you must go at your own pace. You're in my thoughts and prayers, Marlena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you all for your thoughts.
    Marlena, how interesting - I feel pretty much the same way. I feel so alone, even though I am really not - I have two brothers, tons of extended family and my partner. But both of my parents are now gone and somehow, as a child and no matter how old this child may be, you always expect your parents to be there for you. When they're gone, you feel even more unprotected and vulnerable. Shucks, now I'm getting really sad - need some tea!

    ReplyDelete