Sunday, February 12, 2012

A changeable day

Yesterday at this time, there was snow on the ground and it was close to 0. Over night, the wind howled and buckets of rain dashed against the house - it was was 7 C. When I got up this morning, the ground outside was bare and the sun was shining and the temperature was -2. Plants still left outside over the winter looked none the worse for wear.
When I went down town this afternoon, the ground was still clear when I went into a shop. When I came out 15 minutes later, everything was white - the snow had fallen that fast. We went from clear roads to slippery and dangerous driving conditions, all within the span of a half-hour. The snow now is still falling and it's -6.
Even for a place that specializes in lively weather, the last 24 hours have been quite eventful. It's one of the reasons so many people I know keep their winter tires on all year - you just never know.
I am eating shortbread cookies and drinking coconut black tea this afternoon. It's a good one to stay home.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! It all ended here in the morning... clean up took a bit as some areas had big snow drifts. Was sunny though and not that cold.

    Tomorrow it's supposed to be -35C with the windchill............. I'm staying inside!!

    ReplyDelete